Sorry for reposting this, but think i may have posted to the wrong forum first time. Am having difficulty solving this puzzle:
"The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not resolve the user name. This could be caused by one of more of the following: a) Name Resolution failure on the current domain controller. b) Active Directory Replication Latency (an account created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller)."
This is in regards to event id's 1053, 1055, 7006, 7007, 7017, and 7320. I show no errors on the 2K8R2 server but all the W7 clients exhibit this. I have read that it can be caused by an RPC failure and I ran DCDIAG from a client and this is part of the failure report: * Connecting to directory service on server server1. Determining IP4 connectivity [server1] Directory Binding Error 1727: Determining IP4 connectivity * Active Directory RPC Services Check [SERVER1] DsBindWithSpnEx() failed with error 1727, The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.. Printing RPC Extended Error Info: Error Record 1, ProcessID is 3952 (DcDiag)
We haven't had this issue until a week ago when MS released a slew of updates which were applied to our server and all the clients. The server runs GFI VIpre enterprise and all clients have the GFI Vipre client installed.
> We haven't had this issue until a week ago when MS released a slew of updates which were applied to our server and all the clients
The chance of this having anything to do with the problem is slim. The error indicates a connectivity problem. Look for firewall or DNS issues. I'm not sure what Vipre is, but if it has a firewall component you should take a hard look at it.
Make it as simple as you can, but not simpler -- Albert Einstein
Vipre is an anti-virus, intrusion prevention, advanced firewall application. Some of the research I've read on MS Technet states to ensure port 135 is open for RPC communication but that also includes all the rest of the ports above 1024. I discovered this issue when rolling out a couple new group policy changes and seeing them not being applied and so it has led me to this point. i do have a feeling it is can be a firewall issue as there doesn't seem to be any other type of network connectivity problems.
Was able to solve this problem last night. It's a firewall issue with the ports being blocked by the server. All the clients had the proper ports open but forgot to open them on the server. Ports used by group policy are 135 & 139 along with a slew of random ports from 1024 - 65535 but was only necessary to open 135 & 139.